I preached this three-part series recently at a church weekend away for those in their twenties and thirties.
Thanks to Sandy Grant for the title and idea for the series.
Martin Luther—”The Doctrine by which the Church stands or falls”
- Righteousness and Justification in the Bible
- Righteousness (Psalm 7:8-9, Proverbs 24:24)
- To justify = “declare righteous” (1 Kings 8:31-32)
- Justification of the ungodly
- The God who justifies the unrighteous! (Psalm 14:1-3, Isaiah 59:12-14, Luke 18:14)
- By the death of Jesus (Isaiah 53:11, cf. 2 Cor 5:21)
- Justification by faith (Galatians 2:16, Romans 5:1, etc.)
- “Faith” = “trust”
- Justification by faith alone
- Justification by faith alone—under threat
- Peter’s problem (Galatians 2:11-16)
- Justification by membership in the community? The ‘New Perspective on Paul’
- Justification by right actions? (Gal 2:17-21)
- Justification by ministry?