A friend of mine who pastors a congregation told me of a young man in his church who was heading off to study at a theological college. This young man approached my friend for advice on making a choice: should he study Greek when he got to college, or should he study Hebrew? My friend’s response was legendary: “Well,” he said, “when you finish college and get up into your pulpit, do you want to be wearing only your shirt, or only your pants?”
Recent blog posts
- From temple to meat market in ancient PompeiiJanuary 7, 2019A very quick journey from the temple of Jupiter in Pompeii to the meat market. This helps us to understand 1 Corinthians 8-10 and probably also Romans 14.
- The formation of gentile Christ-believing identity vis-à-vis Israel in Ephesians and BarnabasJanuary 7, 2019Article in the journal Biblica et Patristica Thoruniensia. Keywords: Ephesians; Barnabas; Israel; replacement theology; collective memory; ethnic identity
- Where they burn books…January 6, 2019A reflection on “Bibliothek", the memorial to the Nazi book-burning of 10 May 1933 in Berlin. Could we ever end up in a similar situation?
- Reformation sights in Oxford UKDecember 23, 2018Some sights in Oxford UK, that are especially significant for Reformation history and the deaths of the Oxford Martyrs Latimer, Ridley, and Cranmer.
- Lift Your Eyes: Introducing EphesiansNovember 30, 2018The central message of Ephesians is that the God of the universe has an amazing plan, which is being put into effect through the preaching of the gospel.
- Who is Jesus for?November 20, 2018Who are the right kind of people according to Jesus? Is Jesus just for one kind of person in our world: Christians versus everyone else? Is Jesus for you?
- The formation of gentile Christ-believing identity vis-à-vis Israel in Ephesians and BarnabasNovember 6, 2018Article in the journal Biblica et Patristica Thoruniensia. Keywords: Ephesians; Barnabas; Israel; replacement theology; collective memory; ethnic identity
- Is God Green?October 18, 2018A short book about what the Bible says about the environment: why the world is in a mess, where it's headed, and what to do about it in the here and now.
- Vale Donald RobinsonSeptember 7, 2018From SydneyAnglicans: One of the towering figures of Anglicanism in the 20th century and former Archbishop of Sydney Bishop Donald Robinson, has died at the age of 95. … The first to pay
- Interview with Sydney Anglicans about the War on WasteAugust 15, 2018I was interviewed by SydneyAnglicans.net about the TV series War on Waste: "Our cause should be the gospel, and that gospel will reshape everything"
On this site
1 Corinthians 1 Timothy Acovenantalism Series Atonement Bible talks Biblical theology biblical word power Church Church History Covenant Creation Death Environment Ephesians Epistemology Eschatology Ethics Evangelism Faith Galatians General Genesis GoThereFor Greek Hebrew Isaiah Jewish Identity John Justification Laughing on Inside Law Ministry Mission Moore College Paul Paul and the Vocation of Israel Psalms Revelation Romans Sexuality Speech and Salvation Sustainable Sacrifice Wisdom Women Sermons and the Bible wordworks-isaiah