In the classic film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the King of Swamp Castle issues an appeal for unity: “This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let’s not bicker and argue about who killed who!” It’s become a classic line used to poke fun at people who are trying to bring peace and unity without showing any understanding of the reality of the situation or the depth of hurt that’s been caused. While we might never end up being quite as absurd as Monty Python, Christians can sometimes talk about unity a little like this. That is, we can treat unity as some ideal state where everybody just gets on, no matter how deep our differences are and no matter what hurt has been caused. And yet—unity really matters. Christians are called to unity. Christian unity is anchored in the truth of the gospel.
Recent blog posts
- Humility in Ministry #3 (Romans 11)August 5, 2020God achieves his purposes through the gospel—with you and without you. A sermon on Romans 11 at Moore College chapel.
- Humility in Ministry #2 (Romans 10)July 30, 2020Since the gospel is about believing not achieving, Christian ministry is about speaking not achieving. A sermon on Romans 10 at Moore College chapel.
- John MacArthur and “Giving to Caesar”July 28, 2020Grace Community Church in Los Angeles, led by John Macarthur, held a meeting of thousands in the midst of Covid-19 restrictions. We discuss the decision.
- Think theologically: Your church’s relaunch (Lionel Windsor, Mikey Lynch, Andrew Heard)July 28, 2020As Covid-19 restrictions begin to ease, I join Mikey Lynch and Andrew Heard to discuss theological considerations about relaunching church.
- Jew and Gentile in EphesiansJuly 17, 2020Here are the key reflections on the topic of Jew and Gentile in Ephesians in my series Lift Your Eyes: Reflections on Ephesians
- Humility in Ministry #1 (Romans 9)July 17, 2020Humility is a virtue that’s quickly losing traction in our world today. A sermon preached by Lionel Windsor at Moore College Chapel (online).
- The biblical meaning of righteousness and justification Part 3, with Chris Thomson @ Moore CollegeJune 12, 2020In this 3-part series, I speak with my colleague Chris Thomson, lecturer in Old Testament at Moore College, who has engaged in detailed research in this area as well as scholarly
- The biblical meaning of righteousness and justification Part 2, with Chris Thomson @ Moore CollegeJune 5, 2020In this 3-part series, I speak with my colleague Chris Thomson, lecturer in Old Testament at Moore College, who has engaged in detailed research in this area as well as scholarly
- The biblical meaning of righteousness and justification Part 1, with Chris Thomson @ Moore CollegeMay 29, 2020Martin Luther famously wrote about justification by faith: “if this article stands, the church stands; if this article collapses, the church collapses” (Luther’s Works 40/3.352.3). Justification
- FBS Paper: “Every construction”? Ecclesiological Plurality in Ephesians 2:19–22May 27, 2020Here is the video recording of an academic paper I presented at the Sydney Meeting of the Fellowship for Biblical Studies, Online meeting, 22 May 2020.
On this site
1 Corinthians 1 Timothy Acovenantalism Series Atonement Bible talks Biblical theology Christian living Church Church History Covenant covid-19 Creation Death Environment Ephesians Epistemology Eschatology Ethics Evangelism Faith Galatians General Genesis GoThereFor Greek Isaiah Jewish Identity Justification Law LiftYourEyes Ministry Mission Moore College Paul Paul and the Vocation of Israel Psalms Revelation Romans Sexuality Speech and Salvation Spirit Sustainable Sacrifice Wisdom Women Sermons and the Bible wordworks-isaiah