- The meaning of the Last Supper: Luke 22:7-38 (A Sermon)
- Galatians 3:28 – “Neither Male Nor Female”:What does this verse mean when it comes to male-female roles and relationships? Is it a “Magna Carta for humanity” that teaches complete functional equality of every human being in all areas of life? And what have Christians down through the ages taught about this verse? Michelle Philp explores the meaning of this much-quoted verse in its context, and assesses the history of interpretation of Galatians 3:28 from the early Christians to the present, with special reference to the phrase “neither male nor female”.Synopsis:
This examination of the history of interpretation of Galatians 3:28 reveals that until the nineteenth century commentators understood Paul to be teaching a ‘complementarian view’ of equality for salvation which does not remove social distinctions/roles. No orthodox commentators on this text from the Patristic period through to the Reformers argued for a view of equality that blurred or removed distinctions. The departure from this historic interpretation is shown to have occurred in the nineteenth century under the influence of the Enlightenment concepts of equality where equality in one thing necessitated sameness in all things. The ensuing tension with other Pauline texts that assume distinctions were explained away using historical-critical methods from the same era. Drawing on the nineteenth century egalitarian understanding of Gal. 3:28 it is seen how feminist interpreters move a further step away from the traditional understanding due to their imposition of feminist culture on their hermeneutic.
- Titus 2:3-5: Hand-me-ons: A sermon by Sandy Grant
- Is the Bible Clear? The Bible, the Reformation and Postmodernism.
- The Bible and Homosexuality – A summary of the current (2005) debate.
- Open Letter to Brian Farran, Anglican Bishop of Newcastle, from Sandy Grant, St Michael’s Anglican Cathedral, Wollongong (Monday 11 February, 2008). Sandy Grant writes concerning Brian Farran’s public Statement regarding the GAFCON conference organised by conservative Anglicans and critical of the Archbishop of Sydney, Peter Jensen’s involvement in it.
- Women teaching men the Bible – what’s the problem?A paper by Sandy Grant in response to Graham Cole.
- Also available in PDF.
- God in a Box? Stuart Starr, from Figtree Anglican Church, helps Christians to ask some important questions about the “discovery” of Jesus’ tomb.
Recent blog posts
- Who is Jesus for?Who are the right kind of people according to Jesus? Is Jesus just for one kind of person in our world: Christians versus everyone else? Is Jesus for you?
- The formation of gentile Christ-believing identity vis-à-vis Israel in Ephesians and BarnabasArticle in the journal Biblica et Patristica Thoruniensia. Keywords: Ephesians; Barnabas; Israel; replacement theology; collective memory; ethnic identity
- Is God Green?A short book about what the Bible says about the environment: why the world is in a mess, where it's headed, and what to do about it in the here and now.
- Vale Donald RobinsonFrom SydneyAnglicans: One of the towering figures of Anglicanism in the 20th century and former […]
- Interview with Sydney Anglicans about the War on WasteI was interviewed by SydneyAnglicans.net about the TV series War on Waste: "Our cause should be the gospel, and that gospel will reshape everything"
- Cultural Encounters review of Reading Ephesians and Colossians After SupersessionismMy book Reading Ephesians and Colossians After Supersessionism has been reviewed in the Cultural Encounters Journal (A Journal for the Theology of Culture).
- What is the Lord’s Supper? (and what to do with it)The Lord's Supper: What it is, what it isn't, and what to do with it. A sermon preached at St Augustine's Anglican Church, Neutral Bay.
- A simple way to teach the gospel to children using a puppetA simple and effective puppet format for people who want to get into puppets to teach the gospel.
- Sharing gospel truth in a biblically illiterate worldIncreasingly, people in our world have very little idea of what the Bible says. How can we commend and proclaim biblical truth in these circumstances?
- As I See It (by Leigh Windsor)Leigh Windsor's explanation of the biblical message about Jesus, why it matters and how to respond.
On this site
1 Corinthians 1 Timothy Acovenantalism Series Atonement Bible talks Biblical theology biblical word power Church Church History Covenant Creation Death Environment Ephesians Epistemology Eschatology Ethics Evangelism Faith Galatians General Genesis GoThereFor Greek Hebrew Isaiah Jewish Identity John Justification Laughing on Inside Law Ministry Mission Moore College Paul Paul and the Vocation of Israel Psalms Revelation Romans Sexuality Speech and Salvation Sustainable Sacrifice Wisdom Women Sermons and the Bible wordworks-isaiah