I preached this three-part series recently at a church weekend away for those in their twenties and thirties.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Thanks to Sandy Grant for the title and idea for the series.
Martin Luther—”The Doctrine by which the Church stands or falls”
- Righteousness and Justification in the Bible
- Righteousness (Psalm 7:8-9, Proverbs 24:24)
- To justify = “declare righteous” (1 Kings 8:31-32)
- Justification of the ungodly
- The God who justifies the unrighteous! (Psalm 14:1-3, Isaiah 59:12-14, Luke 18:14)
- By the death of Jesus (Isaiah 53:11, cf. 2 Cor 5:21)
- Justification by faith (Galatians 2:16, Romans 5:1, etc.)
- “Faith” = “trust”
- Justification by faith alone
- Justification by faith alone—under threat
- Peter’s problem (Galatians 2:11-16)
- Justification by membership in the community? The ‘New Perspective on Paul’
- Justification by right actions? (Gal 2:17-21)
- Justification by ministry?
2 responses to “Doctrines Under Threat 1: Nothing’s Right without Justification”
Hey Lionel, what are the best resources dealing with the new perspective?
Thanks for your time
Hi Hans – it depends on the context and purpose. In what way / for what reason are you seeking to deal with the NPP?