The Lord’s Supper: What it is, what it isn’t, and what to do with it.
A sermon preached at St Augustine’s Neutral Bay and Church by the Bridge, Kirribilli on 1 July, 2018.
What the Lord’s Supper Is:
- The Passover (Exodus 12:1–14)
- Jesus’ Last Supper (The Gospels)
- The Lord’s Supper (1 Corinthians 11:17–34)
- Jesus’ Death on the Cross
- Sacrament: “Effectual Sign of Grace”
What the Lord’s Supper isn’t
- Not a sacrifice, but a meal of remembrance)
- Not all about the bread and wine, but all about faith and the Spirit
- Not all about bringing God to earth, but about lifting up our hearts to God
What to do with the Lord’s Supper
- Participate in it (don’t run away from it)
- Focus on Jesus’ death (not the bread and wine)
- Remember it’s holy communion (not holy isolation)