“Culture shock is what happens when you move from one culture to another, and all your ways of dealing with the world become compromised by the changes you’re going through… That’s complicated and it’s exhausting. And that’s what everyone is going through right now. We have new ways of greeting people, we have new languages, new modes of communication…” Simon and Margie Gillham are former missionaries with the Church Missionary Society. Simon is now the head of the Department of Mission at Moore College, and Margie is a Mission Development Facilitator for the Church Missionary Society. They have a great deal of experience in helping missionaries adjust to culture shock. They shared with me their thoughts and experiences, with many practical tips for how to adjust to the “new normal” that has been brought about by measures to contain the Covid-19 virus.
Publications by Lionel Windsor:
Recent blog posts
- What’s wrong with the world? Is there hope? (Ephesians)January 17, 2021Guilt, weakness, spiritual slavery, prejudice, arrogance, tribalism, conflict, war, victimhood, persecution, pain, suffering, futility, ignorance, lying, deceit, anger, theft, greed, pornography, sexual sin, darkness, fear, drunkenness, substance abuse, domestic abuse, workplace abuse, spiritual powers... In Paul's letter to the Ephesians, he says many things about the problems we face in this world. He also gives us wonderful reasons to find life, hope and healing in Jesus Christ. Along the way, he provides practical teachings about how to respond and live together.
- What does Ephesians say about reconciliation?January 12, 2021We humans are not very good at living up close with others. This is especially true when we have a history of conflict with those others. Reconciliation isn't easy. No matter how much you might want healing, it’s hardly ever a matter of just everybody getting on and pretending the hurts didn’t happen. In Paul's letter to the Ephesians, he says some very important, fundamental things about peace and reconciliation, and gives many other very practical teachings about how to live together in light of these truths.
- Lift Your Eyes – How it worksDecember 21, 2020Lift Your Eyes: Reflections on Ephesians. Here's a video where I explain how the free online resource works.
- Review: The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self by Carl TruemanDecember 14, 2020I need to understand the people around me, so I can live for the gospel among them and speak the gospel to them. To do that, I need to understand the people around me. That's where Carl Trueman's book is so incredibly valuable.
- What does Ephesians say about church?December 13, 2020There are so many ideas about what the church is should be. How do we navigate them all? Here are ten key reflections from Ephesians.
- Supersessionism and the New PerspectiveDecember 2, 2020Here are my views on the issue of the New Perspective and Supersessionism, in light of a debate in the Harvard Theological Review.
- The powerful Christian life: according to EphesiansNovember 25, 2020What do we do when we feel weak in the face of powerful people? Here are seven key reflections on power from Ephesians.
- Liturgy Song – Moore College Revue 2020November 23, 2020Here's a tribute to our online chapel experience in mid-2020 at Moore College, in the full spirit of parody. I wrote it for our Moore College Revue, and had much fun performing it with Jordan Smith and Monique New.
- My grandfather’s part in a WWII mission over ModaneNovember 1, 2020A journey of discovery of some of my family history. My maternal grandfather, Allan Fisher DFC, flew a mission over a rail yard in Modane.
- What can we learn about prayer from Ephesians?September 7, 2020Prayer: What are you doing when you pray? Who are you praying to? Why does it matter? Here are three reflections on prayer from my series on Paul's letter to the Ephesians. #liftyoureyes
On this site
1 Corinthians 1 Timothy Acovenantalism Series Atonement Bible talks Biblical theology Christian living Church Church History Covenant covid-19 Creation Death Environment Ephesians Epistemology Eschatology Ethics Evangelism Faith Forgiveness Galatians General Genesis GoThereFor Greek Isaiah Jewish Identity Justification Law LiftYourEyes Ministry Mission Moore College Paul Paul and the Vocation of Israel Psalms Revelation Romans Sexuality Speech and Salvation Spirit Sustainable Sacrifice Wisdom wordworks-isaiah